Sunday, May 4, 2014

First Week of May and Training

 I have begun training in earnest for the Grand Canyon. Last weekend we did a similar hike but there was not picture taking. We began at the base of Sandia Crest in Tijears and hiked up to the Faulty Trail at about 1 mile. Then we took the Faulty Trail to Barts Trail at about mile 5. Barts trail is a killer with about 3000 foot elevation gain in about 2 miles. It was slow going for me, unlike my husband who had to wait for me at the top. The first photo is The Sandia Crest Trail heading South along the ridge of the crest.
This is a view to the North looking down on the Albuquerque side.
 Another view at the top.
 My husband going up the Sandia Crest Trail.
South Peak of Sandia Crest. At the end of the day we had logged over 16 miles. I am tired and sore but not as bad as last weekend. We have one more weekend to train locally before we head off to the Grand Canyon.

I am planning on making some Sweet Potato Bark for trail food. A Paleo high carb food that I have never tried. It is always a challenge to eat a Paleo diet when out in the backcountry.

No comments:

Post a Comment